Monday, January 28, 2008

Please don't tell me you want to be a teacher...


Hello out there. My name is Maureen Grandchamp, and I'm an avid Disneyland goer. I work full time, school full time, and Disneyland full time. I'm 28, and fabulous! This is (part of) my story...

Ten years ago when I graduated High School I went straight to Boston University into the pre-med program. I had wanted to be a doctor since November 11, 1991 at 1:02 pm when my little sister was born. I was so amazed that someone could help bring life into this world, and something so perfect as my sister, that I thought I had found my calling. Everyone was so proud of me, and they threw a huge going away party the summer before I left. I was going to be a doctor! Once arriving in Boston, however, plans began to change. I was taking 2 science classes, and 2 electives: French and Shakespeare. As the semester progressed I found myself enjoying Shakespeare more than any science I was taking, and actually starting to dread the days I had to work with biology or chemistry. I would rather be reading As You Like It than learning about the Krebs Cycle. It was then that I started to wonder if I was doing the right thing. You're supposed to enjoy the field in which you choose to study, right? I was not supposed to find more pleasure in literature than in science! I couldn't give it up, though. Not something that had carried me through nearly half of my life at the time. The second semester rolled around, and again I had two science courses and two electives. Again I enjoyed my British Literature course more than my Chemistry 2. My experience in Boston wasn't turning out to be what I had imagined. Apart from not knowing anything about the white fluffy stuff that falls from the sky and covers the ground and makes it freezing cold and makes you want to just stay inside and ask these crazy people why they would ever live in these conditions (I think they call it "snow"), the thing I had wanted for 7 years of my life wasn't turning out quite what I expected it to be. When the semester came to an end, I mustered up the courage to call my mom and said, "Mom. I'm coming home. And I don't want to be a doctor anymore." Her response? "Please don't tell me you want to be a teacher..."

Guess what? I did want to be a teacher! My mom's concerns were based on salary, and once I assured her that I didn't need a house on the beach she was in full support of my new plan. I had tutored throughout most of High School, and I started to think how great it would be to actually take that talent and put it to use. Maybe I wouldn't be bringing life into this world, like a doctor, but I would be helping somehow. I enrolled at the community college and began to take the general education credits I needed. I was passionate about this, and would throw myself fully into this new goal. Suffice to say, I hit a few bumps in the road to accomplishing my teacher goals. I had to stop school for a while, and then I just didn't go back. I became lazy, content in my job at Kaiser and forgot about the future for a while.

It wasn't until two years ago, when someone I knew from high school came into my work that anything changed. I asked her what she was up to, and she told me she was an English teacher. At a high school. What was I doing? Why was I wasting so much time? The very next day I called Pierce College and asked what I needed to finish with my AA. One class, which I took over the summer. And now? I'm here at CSUN, on my last semester for my Bachelors in English. It took me ten years to get to this point, and now that I'm here, I'm not looking back. I cannot wait to be a teacher, to stop doing something I'm 'content' with, and start doing something I will fully enjoy. I don't regret the time it took me to get to this point, as I had many life experiences between then and now, but I can't say I'm not grateful to that woman for walking into my work and giving me the push I needed. I should send her a card or something. Maybe a nice fruitcake over the holidays.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mo,
It is so nice to see a fellow Disneyland fan! As you know, I agree with you that Disneyland is in fact, “The Happiest Place on Earth” and if I could, I’d have my honeymoon in Disney World when I get married.

Aside from the obvious bond we have over the love of Disney, I can also agree with you over the English vs. Science courses! I am so not a science person, and right now, in my senior year of college, I am taking a G.E. required science class. Yup, been sort of procrastinating that one for four years. I have to say, I’d rather be in an English class! Some people think this is weird, but I think they’re just jealous over my relationship with books.

Your story, (or rather, part of it) is really fascinating. I think it’s awesome that you’ve had that experience of having been to a different state, studying a different discipline. I think this has probably made your love for literature grow even more. Having known you now for a couple of semesters, I can honestly say that you’d make a great teacher! Good luck, not that you need it!

Luke said...

Only ten years to get your BA? I'm jealous! I'm in year twenty-four. In some ways, my story is a lot like yours: I started out heading for one career, then discovered that I really wanted to teach. However, I'm not exactly a huge Shakespeare fan, so I may harass you for advice while I'm working out my Shakespeare-based independent study program.

...and Disneyland hasn't been the same since they got rid of Adventure Through Inner Space. And Mission to Mars. And The Skyway. And the Peoplemover. And Country Bear Jamboree... and... and...

See Laura's Thoughts said...

When I read your blog name, I knew I had to read your blog. I am not a frequent Disneyland visitor, but I hope to become one. I think your story was extremely inspirational. A lot of people don't know what they want to become, and they feel pressured to decide on and stick to one thing. You are someone who took the time to actually figure out what you really wanted and then go for it. Even though it took you ten years, you have many years ahead to enjoy your job, while others finished school early and are stuck in a job they detest. It was funny how you only needed one class to get your A.A. You have to wonder how many times in our life we were that close to getting something and didn’t realize it. I am happy that your family was supportive of your decision to become a teacher. You are doing it for the right reasons, and I hope this last semester proves to be one of your best.

NickW said...

Of course, Disneyland is awesome. I go about every 10 weeks with my work. There is something so awesome about getting paid to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

There was a time that I used to really love science classes. I think it was math that destroyed my love of math. There are so many awesome things that can be completely destroyed by math. School, for instance.

I am a little bit jealous of your experience. I stayed local for college because of attachments that I had here. A girlfriend (who is now long gone), a horse (who is now long gone), and friends that I never talk to anymore. Though I have had a great time in college here, I sometimes wish that I had traveled somewhere else for school. I never lived in the dorms, or had to deal with life further than fifteen miles from my mommy's house.

I had a couple changes of career, and major goals myself but certainly nothing as drastic as changing schools and coastal regions. I have a feeling that you will do just fine without your beach living!

Cindy G. said...

Hey Mauree,

well i am glad you realized on time that you needed a change! And you are right, even if you are not a doctor, you are still going to help students who are in need. I also started as a Bio Major at CSUN, but i quit by the end of my first year (same story), the only difference is that my mom supported me all the way. I was able to get the job as a TA as soon as i graduated from high school (i was a good student). The school where i work is hiring, but it is in Los Angeles. Let me know if you are interested, may i can tell you the details of the job!! Well i wish you the best, and i am so glad we are graduating!!

Katie Watts said...

Hey! We have a lot in common....a love of Shakespeare and Disneyland. I love Disneyland!!!! I just went last week for my 30th Birthday, in the rain. It was still a blast. Anyway, ten years is not long, I mean you are doing it, you are almost done, and that is fantastic! Have a wonderful semester, and a exciting Graduation. I bet you go to Disneyland to celebrate. Oh yeah, you are also a very good writer, good blog :)

Katie