Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Analyze This


Surprisingly enough, I actually enjoyed the writing of fiction more than the studying of it this time around. Normally I'm always on the side of analysis, but after reading "A Hand in the Grave" and trying to make connections between Kanafani's story and the cultural context of his piece, I wanted to bang my head against a doorframe. Wasn't that a poem we read?
My troubles came from the research for the paper I had to write. Finding critique of this story was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I'm also not entirely familiar with the history of the Palestinian conflicts, so I only was able to obtain a surface, quick bit of knowledge for the amount of time I had to do the essay. I'm sure there is a wealth of information out there that I was unable to look at.
The writing of fiction, on the other hand, was amazingly smooth (apart from my last paragraph which I began with 'For you see,' but Lucas corrected me there). Once we were given the structured topics, and sent on our 'Under what circumstance would...' the ideas started to fly. Especially when I read that 'dread the arrival of spring' was a choice. I dread it every year, thanks to allergies, so I was able to write from something I know.
Of course, reading the other pieces of fiction prior to the writing did alert me as to how to construct a narrative, how to build up suspense, and give that surprise little ending.
I guess it comes down to them both being valuable in the teaching of English. You can't really have high schoolers experience one without experiencing the other. It is important that they realize the effort put into writing, as well as being able to analyze others' works.

4 comments:

NickW said...

I am very glad that you actually enjoyed being creative. I think that once you discover a medium for wich to you can be creative and comfortable there is no better thing. I like playing music for instance and writing songs. Also, boobs. I think your story was very good and very well done. You certainly can be creative and more importantly, you can be creative without writing about F'in Disneyland. You "imagineer" you.

I will disagree with one part of your post however. I don't think that high schoolers can't experience one without the other (analyzing and writing fiction). We spend a lot of time in school analyzing and save for the random creative writing class (unless thats you major of course, which is noble, but your mother-in-law will always wish her daughter had married a man with ambition) students don't really get a chance in class to write fiction and thats ok. Also, as always, peanut butter!

Luke said...

Just to be clear: in and of itself, there's nothing wrong with the phrase "for you see." It just felt a little funny at the beginning of that paragraph, like a Twilight Zone script.

...and critiquing "A Hand in the Grave" doesn't require vast knowledge of Israeli/Palestinian/Turkish history and interaction. Kate Haake says "Stories are not about themselves- they are about something else." While this story is rooted in the history of the region, and knowing that history can certainly make the some of the surface actions clearer, in the end the story is not about that stuff. It's about the choices two young men make, the reasons for those choices, and the effects of their decisions. The story could have easily worked with fictional countries or on an alien world or wherever the writer wanted.
The surface story is exactly that - surface.

Jasmine said...

I really liked the fact that you were different from the other post's that i have read. A lot of people loved writing about fictional stories other then creating a fictional story. For me, it's easier to write about someone else's writing then to come up with a story all by my self. I do agree that the question "Under what circumstance..." that really does help everyone to have something to at least brainstorm.

I have to agree with nick though, I think high schoolers have to experience both; we don't give high school student's much credit now a days. I know they have a lot of opinions, and an english class is a great place to let that imagination and creative side shine through. Being able to analyze others work will give the students a chance to have interaction in a classroom which, is very much needed. By the way great story, you do have a great imagination. Keep it up!

Katie Watts said...

I really agree with you. I thought that the fiction writing was so much easier. It actually made me question why I didn't do the creative writing major. I think that you are really creative Maureen, from all that I've seen in class. I think you are like me in the way that you judge yourself. You are really good at this writing thing...better than you know I think.

I do agree with Nick that High School kids could and should get the best of both worlds. They should learn about research papers and creative writing, I think it is important and possible.

I want to read your creative story now, I am curious. I loved your Disney poem!!

Katie